BSAR Field Organiser and Retired Rear Admiral Peter Briggs lead the Find AE1 team that found submarine HMAS AE1 103 years after it disappeared during World War 1.
The fate of HMAS AE1 had been one of the navy’s most enduring puzzles, sparking 13 different retrieval attempts since 1914.
The 800-tonne vessel was discovered under 300 metres of water near Duke of York Island in Papua New Guinea.
AE1 was the first Allied submarine lost in the first world war and the first ship lost by the Royal Australian Navy.
Peter Briggs has previously led restoration expeditions for Submarine HMAS AE2.
- Australian navy world war one AE1 submarine found 103 years after it vanished, The Guardian
- Canberra academic breaks down after AE1 submarine found off Papua New Guinea, Canberra Times
- Underwater drone finds Australia’s first submarine lost for over a century , New Atlas
- Australia’s oldest submarine found after 103 years, CNN
- The AE1 and the AE2 Submarines – Australia’s first submarines, The Australian War Memorial :
- HMAS AE1 World War I submarine found after century-long search, ABC News
Last Updated on February 17, 2021