Two snowboarders failed to return home as expected from a trip to Mt Bogong on Saturday evening 12 July. Police initiated a full BSAR call out of both north east and Melbourne members early Sunday morning. BSAR members from the Birkenbeiner Nordic Ski Club at Mt Beauty quickly responded, climbing to Michell Hut where the men’s tent was situated, and commenced searching the debris below a recent avalanche site that had been located off the east side of the upper Eskdale Spur.
On Sunday evening a large team of Police Search and Rescue and additional BSAR members from Melbourne climbed to Michell hut and prepared for a large scale search effort. Searching the avalanche debris located one victim on Monday morning. On Monday evening all BSAR searchers were flown off Mt Bogong by Police helicopter.
The following day, Tuesday 15 July Police SAR located the second victim. Another call was made on BSAR members from the Birkies Club to assist in the recovery operation down to Camp Creek Gap.
Bush Search and Rescue Victoria extends its sympathies to the family and friends of Martie Buckland and Daniel Kerr.
- Second body found in search for snowboarders, The Age
- Second missing snowboarder found dead at Mt Bogong, ABC News
- TRAGIC SEARCH: Mount Bogong snowboarders well equipped but caught out, The Border Mail
- Missing snowboarder Daniel Kerr found dead at Mount Bogong, ABC News
- Emergency crews search for missing snowboarders, The Age
- Emergency crews find body in search for missing snowboarders, The Age
- Melbourne snowboarder found dead as police search for missing mate on Mt Bogong, Heraldsun
Last Updated on January 26, 2023