A SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger is specifically designed for remote area communcations and works in conjunction with a satellite communication system, for which an annual subscription (currently US$110 pa) is required.
SPOTS have the following functions:
- SOS: For a life threatening or other critical emergency. Notifies emergency services of your GPS location and that you need assistance. It is equivalent to activating a Personal Locator Beacon (when there is a threat of grave or imminent danger).
- Help: For a non-life threatening emergency, this function is used to notify your personal contacts that you need assistance using a preset message.
- Check-in/OK: Let your friends and family know via email or SMS that all is OK with a pre-programmed message along with your GPS location. Messages are sent via email or SMS to up to 10 pre-determined contacts and your waypoint is stored in your SPOT account for later reference.
- Custom Message: Allows you to let your friends and family now receive a custom message along with your GPS location with a push of a button.
- Track Progress: Sends and saves your location and allow contacts to track your progress in near real time using Google Maps. This feature requires an additional subscription fee to the annual subscription.
- A GPS or map you can use in the field for navigation purposes
- Voice communications or incoming communications
- Lithium AAA batteries, which should last for 14 days when auto-tracking.
- Water resistant, floats and shock resistant.
Police Search and Rescue issue Bush Search and Rescue teams with SPOTS to monitor their progress on search tasks.
- Spot Satellite Messenger
Last Updated on February 17, 2021