Here are some things you can do to minimise the risk of getting lost in the bush, and staying safe if you do get lost.
- Review the Snowsafe and Walksafe (PDF) guidelines
- Make sure you complete a Trip Intentions form and leave it with someone
- Carry a well-charged mobile phone with good reception.
- Carry a Personal Locator Beacon or a Spot tracking device and know how to it
- Carry navigation equipment (map, compass, GPS) and know how to use them
- Carry an emergency foil blanket
- Carry waterproof matches, a cigarette light and some firelighters or solid stove fuel tablets
- If you do get lost, stay where you are, make a shelter to stay warm and dry, and raise the alarm.
- If possible, stay close to a clearing where you are more likely to be sighted by aircraft