The missing girl has been found alive. The second callout has been cancelled. Thanks to all who have been involved or who had volunteered for the second callout.
Merv Trease, Police Liaison
Bush Search and Rescue teams with Police Search and Rescue located the missing girl on Sunday afternoon north west of Mt Erica, about 3 kilometers from Mushroom Rocks, after tracking her footprints though the snow for some time. She was immediately evacuated by the Police Air Wing helicopter and is now recovering from her ordeal.
Peter Campbell, Field Organiser.
Above photos: Peter Campbell
View Mt Erica Search – August 2011 in a larger map
Sunday 7/8/11, 4.30 pm. The second callout is proceeding with departure scheduled for early Monday morning. If you can attend please respond to the sms or email messages.
Sunday 7/8/11, 3.00 pm. The search is continuing. BSAR searchers were in the field from the time of their arrival last night until about 7.00 am this morning. They then returned to search headquarters for food and a few hours rest prior to continuing the search.
Police have advised that a second callout is possible later today, Sunday, for early am departure on Monday morning.
Sunday, 7/8/11, 12.30 am. Searchers arrived at Rawson and headed out at 01:30 to search around Mushroom Rocks and Mount Erica during the night.
Sat, 06/08/2011— PLO. Bush Search and Rescue Victoria has been called to assist the Police Search and Rescue Squad with the search for a missing 13 year old girl in the Mushroom Rocks area near Mt Erica in the Baw Baw National Park. The girl, from Morwell, was part of a Scout group camping in the area. She is believed to have wandered off on her own this morning. The inclement weather and the age of the missing person necessitated a degree of urgency in the search call out. The group of 12 Bush Search and Rescue searchers departed Northcote at 9.00 pm tonight. There is every likelihood that they will begin searching upon their arrival later tonight.
Merv Trease, PLO
External links – News and Video
- Missing Victorian teen located on mountain – Ninemsn news, 8 August 2011
- Girl recounts ‘freaky’ night lost in Mt Baw Baw National Park – Herald Sun, 8 August 2011
- Missing girl found safe – Latrobe Valley Express, 8 August 2011
- Dad’s relief, thanks after teen Ashley Kerstjens winched to safety – The Age, 8 August 2011
- Missing girl scout found alive in Victorian bush – ABC News, 8 August 2011
- Video – Search parties find missing teen – ABC News, 8 August 2011
- Footprints led rescuers to missing teenager – Herald Sun, 8 August 2011
- Missing girl scout found alive – The Age, 8 August 2011
- Video – Missing Victorian teen found – The Age, 8 August 2011
- Mount Erica teen located alive – Victoria Police Online News Centre, 8 August 2011
- Mount Erica search continues for missing teen – Victoria Police Online News Centre, 7 August 2011 13:31
- Video – Teen missing on freezing Victorian peak – The Age, 7 August 2011
- Missing teenager found in Victoria national park – The Australian, 8 August 2011
- Thirteen-year-old lost for a freezing night in Victorian bush – The Australian, 7 August 2011
- Teen missing on freezing Victorian peak – Ninemsn news, 6 August 2011
- Search at Mount Erica for missing teen – Victoria Police Online News Centre, 6 August 2011 20:19